Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Should the World Know?

Some thing strikes me as incredibly wrong with this picture. I'm not sure that any two year old, no matter how amazingly bright, should have his IQ score tested to begin with, much less have the results published. If I knew my child's IQ through testing, I'm not even sure I would share the results with him. Seems like unnecessary pressure to live up to a number. I'm trying hard to not sound like one of those salty people who go off anytime some one gets the label "gifted." That's not what I'm doing here. I am questioning whether the IQ and status of an individual should be public information if it is not their choice to reveal that information.


See more stories of baby and preschool "geniuses" here. It seems ritual at this point to go to the press with a story of youngest baby with the highest IQ and admission to Mensa.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/article6198015.ece
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-463539/Two-year-old-Matilda-youngest-girl-Mensa.html

No comments:

Post a Comment