Wednesday, August 19, 2009

E-I-E-I-OOOOOO!!!!

Volume 2 was a delight for us. Like I said before, it introduces a lot of new words at a faster pace. There's less explanation and repetition. TJ enjoyed trying to new words out (tig=pig!). He's always loved the song "Old MacDonald" and went around saying nothing but "E-I-E-I-O!" for about a week a month or so ago. And revisiting the Itsy Bitsy Spider was fun. He can do all of the motions except the finger part, which he does try to do but with only one hand. It's too cute for words. He watched nearly the whole thing with interest, and I tried to reinforce the body part words, like chin, fingers, foot, and leg. Oh, and the best of all, bellybutton.

The body part words and action words are the good part of the program. I will be purchasing a video called Kid 20/20 which introduces the 220 Dolch sight words that early readers need to transition to fluency. We will also be doing Leapfrog Letter Factory, which is supposed to be the gold standard introduction to phonics along with Starfall.com. We are still working on Dr. Titzer's first milestone. I figure when TJ's talking catches up, and he is becoming more verbally communicative every day, it will be much easier to get an accurate assessment of whether my baby can read.

2 comments:

  1. Try playing a board game called Er-u-di-tion that incorporates both sight words and phonics.

    This award winning game helps children learn to read, spell and understand the most common words in the English language while playing an entertaining board game.

    Cards are categorized so children of all reading levels can play together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip Denise! I will be looking for that game, it sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete