Thursday, August 6, 2009

What does Your Baby Can Read Really Teach?

Honestly, this program has taught my child many things. I am a first time Mom, and having never grown up and been around young kids it is hard to know what development and skills you should be working on with your child. Add this to the fact that it is very hard to get honest answer on the internet. People with advanced children are more eager to answer questions about development than people with normal or sluggish developers, so if you post a question the answer will be skewed a bit. Also, people claim that their children accomplished advanced skills at ridiculously young ages, such as a talking 2 week old, or a running 6 month old, that I often have to dismiss more answers as wholly dishonest than I would like to. My rule of thumb is that if there is no video, and I can't find an equivalent demonstration of advanced skills on youtube, then I pretty much totally throw away the claim.

Keep in mind that I still watch the videos and interact with him, I don't leave him to watch on his own even though Dr. Titzer says it is not required.

I think it has been a more than adequate introduction to print. Now, when TJ sees words, he sometimes points to them with his index finger and pretends to read. He did this the other day with the box of Huggies that I had sitting on the coffee table. He also points to the words on the screen as if he recognizes them as words.

He has learned all of his body parts. This is a nice little bonus. If I ask him "Where are your toes?" he will grab them, and will do the same for all the body parts introduced in the video and other ones that he knows.

He has learned several action verbs, such as "stomp" and "kick" and will act the verbs out during the video, or sometimes if I ask when the video is not on.

He has learned the tune to Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and can sing it (not the words, just the tune), can approximate the motions to Itsy Bitsy Spider, can do the motions to If You're Happy, and grabs his head during Head Shoulders Knees and Toes.

He's learned much more, but I think you can get the idea here. It is more of a language development system, that teaches about all language skills and not just reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment